Monday, June 16, 2014

Nomadic Dream

So, I have failed to maintain current on my blogging.  However, our recent discussion on becoming nomadic has caused me to ponder over restarting my blogging.  So here I am, explaining to the world why we want to trade in our almost 4,000 sq ft house (5 bdrm, 4 ½ bath, 3 car garage, luxury theatre room, game room, newly built freeform pool with paradise landscaping, and gated community) for about a 400 sq ft home on wheels without these luxuries. 

First it is important to know a little about us, my husband and I are both military (Air Force) veterans; I served 12 years and my husband retired after 21 ½ yrs.  We have three children, Kayla is 17, Erica is almost 16, and Sean just turned 7 yrs old.  I currently homeschool Erica and Sean while Kayla will be finishing her last year in public school.  We live in northern San Antonio, Texas and love it here; although the traffic is a bit of a downside.  My husband and I both joined the military shortly after graduating high school and have both traveled around the United States and each stationed overseas (me in England and my husband in Germany).

Like most Americans we have worked hard and thrived to have the American Dream.  You know, the big house (bigger and “nicer” is always better, right!), nice cars, toys, nice pool, nice vacations, and spending, spending, spending.  Well, we thought the ‘American Dream’ would bring us fulfillment but instead it brought restraint.  We found ourselves ‘living to work’ instead of ‘working to live’.  After obtaining all the ‘things’ that we thought we always wanted we started to feel suffocated; yes, suffocated in almost 4,000 sq ft.   Suffocated by the responsibility to maintain this lifestyle and keeping it clean and organized (even when we had a housecleaner it seemed too much).  We probably use maybe 1/3 of the rooms in our house on a daily basis.  With the girls almost off to college or the military, we started contemplating downsizing in a few years.  However, we couldn’t decide if we wanted to live in the country or live in a gated community again so we pushed the idea aside for a little.  I can’t even remember what triggered it but we started talking again about going RVing full-time. 

Note: Years ago we had a Class C motorhome and spoke about going full-time but with three kids (two of which can barely stand to be in the same room with each other) we felt that if the kids didn’t kill each other we might (this is sarcasm, please don’t take it literally).  We did however live in our motorhome for a few months while in transit between Maryland and Texas; we all survived.

We started thinking about how we could continue homeschool our son and show him the United States instead of reading about it in books.  How my husband could retire, again, but for the last time at the age of 50 years old.  We could see the country that we served jointly for over 33 years.  We enjoy moving around so this was not a factor that concerned us.  We started thinking that we could sell our house and most of our personal belongings and go RVing for a year.  But then we started figuring out that one year is not enough to really see the US; I’m not talking driving through states, I’m talking REALLY seeing the country.  So we figure why set a deadline, just go for it and if it doesn’t work out then we can just come back to Texas and buy a new house.  So, we have about 2 – 2 ½ years until we plan to make this new dream happen.  We are waiting for the girls to be off either in college (Kayla) or the military (Erica); once they are settled we plan to hit the road full-time until we want to stop.  This could be a month, six months, a year, we don’t know.  Meanwhile, we have a lot of stuff to rid ourselves of over the next two years.  It’s unbelievable what you can pack a house with and don’t even realize it until you start thinking of downsizing to a 400 sq ft home.  We have SLOWLY started to purge stuff that we don’t use or won’t be using over the next couple years.  We haven’t even made a dent but I can’t express to you enough how good it feels.  On top of that, there are so many things that I HAVEN’T purchased.  When I go to buy something now I stop and ask myself “am I going to need this in the RV”, if not, “is it worth buying just to have for the next two years”.  There are SO many things that I have stopped myself from buying. 

You know, I don’t know for sure what is going to happen in 2 – 2 ½ years.  Something might change that will cause us to rethink our dream of living a nomadic lifestyle; we do tend to be a BIT fickle.  But even if so, the feeling of freedom that I am feeling ridding myself of the ‘stuff’ surrounding me is all worth it either way.  The money that I am saving by thinking twice about purchases can never be a negative thing.  I don’t want my life and dreams to be about ‘things’; I want to truly feel freedom and enjoy my family and the natural beauty that surrounds us.  So many people die without even leaving the state or even town that they were born in.  How amazing would it be for a 9 year old boy to see, I mean REALLY see, the country that his parents served.  To later in life, read about places or see them in movies/television and know that you were there.  That is the gift that I want to give my son.  Although, our girls will not be able to accompany us on this journey, I hope that we can be an example to them to not fall into the ‘American Dream’ pit but to create their own dreams.  Regardless of what happens, I want to find the joy in living a more minimalistic life.

No comments:

Post a Comment